Thursday, January 28, 2016

Goal Digger


They say that one of the main things needed in losing weight and exercising is getting a buddy to do it with you.  A friend and I started using the MyFitnessPal app again this week.  It has helped us keep each other encouraged, and it makes us hold ourselves accountable for the amount of calories we take in a day.   I have another friend with whom I walk with daily, (or TRY to).  She is the one who got me motivated, about 2 years ago, in taking better care of myself – making some lifestyle changes.  For me, that’s a lot of what it was about when I turned 40.  Not so much losing weight, (although I DEFINITELY needed to), but making some lifestyle changes that would make me a healthier me.  Where I haven’t been 100% faithful to the “new lifestyle”, I have purposed in my heart to change that in 2016 – to devote myself into getting fit in EVERY way.

 
It’s not just about the physical part of it, although that, in itself, has plenty of benefits.  In my venture of taking better care of myself, I’ve learned quite a few things.  (1) I have more energy when I eat right and exercise.  My life is somewhat busy, and I have a 7 year old – I NEED ENERGY!!  (2) I’ve learned that I feel better physically and mentally.  I mean, I ACTUALLY feel good about myself and my appearance.  For me, that’s a HUGE statement and accomplishment because I have fought low self-esteem for nearly 30 years.  It’s not about wanting everyone to think I look good, either.  In reality, it’s not what others think.  I strongly feel that God wants us to feel good about ourselves.  That boost of confidence, with the RIGHT SPIRIT, helps us to walk with a little spring in our steps, a smile on our face, and a boldness to defeat intimidation. 

 
Intimidated by what?  EVERYTHING and EVERYONE – even ones we love and admire.  When there’s a lack of confidence or none at all, we never feel good enough.  We compare our inadequacies and weaknesses to others’ accomplishments and strengths – big or small.  The Word tells us that it’s unwise to compare ourselves to others, though.

 

“For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves.  But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.”  2 Corinthians 10:12

 
So, I think it’s fair to say that how we feel about ourselves on the physical level spills over to our mental being.  God is a loving Father, and as any parent, He doesn’t want us thinking or feeling negative about ourselves, (as stated earlier).  He created us so WHY would I not love and admire what He created?  I’m not talking being conceited and vain.  I’m talking about LOV-ING myself and wanting to take care of what God made.

 
“I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…” Psalm 139:14

 
I am the ONLY one who can or will take care of what God created in me – physically, mentally, and spiritually.  It all starts with my mind – my thoughts.

 
“For as he thinks in his heart, so is he…” Proverbs 23:7

 
And my MOST fave:

 

“Finally brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble . . . . just . . . .pure . . .

lovely . . .of good report . . . if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things.”  Philippians 4:8

 
And then, if not careful, it AALLLLL spills over into our spiritual wellness.  How we feel and what we are thinking-on effects our prayer life?  Or, at least, it does mine.  It effects our time in the Word – studying it and digesting it – or even reading an inspirational book.  Or, at least, it does me.  It effects our witness to those around us.  Or, at least, it…does…mine.

 
So, maybe it’s just ME, and no one else, who needs to work and devote self to being physically/mentally/spiritually fit.  I might be the ONLY one who needs these 3 to be working as God designed them to lest one of them fall weak, or sick, and the other 2 follow suit.  My whole system would more/less shut down.  Maybe it is JUST me.

 
But I doubt it.

 
“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost who is in you, who you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and your spirit, which are God’s.”  1 Corinthians 6:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment