Thursday, January 28, 2016

Officially Winter had Arrived


Here in Southeast Texas, we seldom see snow.  Not even in February or March do we snow.  So, how strange it was to actually be in, what was considered, an “icestorm” on March 3, 2014.

 
I remember seeing all the limbs on the roads on my way to taking my son to school.  As soon as I returned home, the electricity had gone off.  I called Dad to let him know that if he needed me, to call me on my cell phone.  While on the phone with him, I heard a loud noise outside, only to experience the neighbor’s tree landing on my house.  Immediately, I got off of the phone with Dad and took care of all of the necessary precautions, (turning the propane and the main breaker to the house off, etc).  I loaded my daughter up, and we went to my Mom’s house.  This was on a Tuesday.

 
We had to stay at Mom’s until my husband could repair the roof.  Not only did he, my brother, and a close friend have to work on getting the tree off of the house, but then 12 roof rafters had to be repaired.  In the meantime, as I stated earlier, we stayed at Mom’s.  (She and Dad didn’t live together.)  While at Mom’s, I was able to check on Dad more and make sure he was taking medicine that the doctor had prescribed for, what was thought to have been possibly, pneumonia. 

 
Two days after the tree fell, I went to Dad’s, only to have to call an ambulance for him.  He was taken to the nearest ER, which was about 25 – 30 minutes away.  His blood pressure had almost bottomed-out.  Luckily, they were able to stabilize it, and then transferred him to ICU.  After several days of extensive testing on his kidneys, heart, and lungs, the doctors informed my brother and me, Sunday afternoon, that Dad was in Stage 4 cancer.  The prognosis was, approximately, 4 days.  The cancer had spread from his lungs, to his trachea, and then to his liver.  Once cancer has spread to the liver, it is fatal and any treatment is useless.  Due to Dad’s physical heart condition, any treatment would not have been recommended as his body would not have been able to endure any radiation or chemo.

 
I stayed at the hospital that night instead of going back home for the evening service at church.  At some time, while my brother had gone home for a while and I was able to spend time with Daddy alone, I was reading my Bible in the book of Isaiah.  There it was…my “hug” from God:

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, yes I will help you.  I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”  (Isaiah 41:10)  Amazing peace swept over me that I will never forget. 

 
Dad passed the next day.  I had JUST returned to the hospital from going home to clean up when his breathing started to become labored.  Mom thinks that he waited for me to get back.  That’s a comforting thought that I stick with!!  I was able to hold his hand, kiss his forehead, and hug his neck as he took his last breath.

 
He was a constant, every-day part of my life.  I miss him TERRIBLY, but I’m forever thankful for the time that the Lord gave me with him.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment